Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Techniques with Martha Stewart's Scroll Heart Deep Edger Punch

Hi everyone and welcome to another Martha Stewart Scroll Heart Deep Edger Punch weekend!

First I want to talk about some techniques that I use and then some cards!

Choosing the Paper:
I have found that I can really get some pretty looking punches simply by choosing the right paper.
1. The most obvious lesson that we all already know is that the more intricate the punch, the harder it is to punch thicker paper.  Forget about coated papers - it's isn't going to happen.
As for this punch, I find that I can punch regular card stock and even the thicker card stock.  Basic Grey is an example of some heavier card stock that punches very nicely.

2. Speaking of Basic Grey...you know that their papers (and many other company's also) tend to be designed to have a faded edge, or scroll designs.  I have found that by using that as part of the punch, I come up with some beautiful punched borders.
This example is actually 7 Gypsies papers.  The colored or distressed edges work out quite well and give my punch that extra something.  I didn't cut the paper, I just punched my border from the edge.  Keep your eye open for such opportunities.

Using the Punch Design
Punches are a BIG investment.  I read somewhere that punches have gone up in price because the metal used to fabricate them has gone up.  SO....if you are going to invest in a punch, ask yourself what else you can use them for.  What other designs do you see in the design?

The scroll heart punch has a number of possibilities.  Here are some.

In each of these pictures, the top punched design remains the same (it is the design without any alteration).  The BOTTOM design is from the same original punched design BUT I have cut some of the design apart or out to create a new design.

You should be able to compare the top and bottom to see what I have cut out to change the design.



 I really liked this one.


 The two blue strips below are the result of me using a ruler and xacto blade and cutting across the top of the design.  I almost didn't include these but there really are some possibilities for them.  They remind me a little of art deco.  I think that if I placed two strips back to back, I could get a nice border.



Here are the four variations along with the original design at the top.  This punch has  so many possibilities.  And don't forget that you can enhance the designs by putting two strips back to back.




Making each border punched the same as the next.
The Martha Stewart designers have done a tremendous job on their punch designs.  They have wings that fold up for easy storage AND THEY HAVE LINES. The lines that I speak of are on the wings.  You can start your punched border at the same place every time by lining up your paper on a line.  You can also use the design itself to line up your paper as I have below.

You will notice that I started my paper lined up in the middle of the heart.  I punched the border (easy to punch from both sides).  I put in my next piece of paper and lined up my paper edge in the same place and punched my next border.


The result is that I have the exact same border punch on every sheet of paper.


Hope you enjoyed this!  Now for the cards! Yippee!

Lis

1 comment:

Merry said...

This is very clever, cutting parts of the border punch to create new borders. Thanks for sharing.