Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Acetate Overlay Cards

Hello Everyone! Happy Saturday to you all!  Today was rather overcast and threatened rain but that didn't stop me from visiting JoAnn's!  I went by the sticker aisle and saw the K & Company stickers so I stopped to look at them. (Big trouble, right?)  Well, you know I just love K & Company. Say what you will about Jolie's but K&C make such beautiful stickers, all with glitter and foil and layers and such.  They are always just stunning.

Anyway, I saw these acetate overlays.  These are usually used to put on top of photos. They have a border and thats about it.  These however had butterflies and birds and flowers, all with glitter.  Truly beautiful. So, I had to get a set.  In my mind I saw them on cards and thought they would look really nice.

Word of caution: These acetate overlays have a film that you need to peel off before using them.  This protects the acetate from scratches.  Unfortunately I didn't think about this when I attached my first overlay to my first card.  Then while I was putting glue dots around, one of them started to pull the back off, and I thought....oh wow....I forgot to remove the film. <sigh>  Live and learn!

My first card:

I was troubled by the photo at first because I try to make things match up side to side and top to bottom.  In this case I couldn't do that if I wanted to see the background green lattice.  The picture is printed from a CD that I bought with vintage photos on it.  There are many of this type. They come with a book and all photos are numbered.  There are a couple of different publishers that have these and you can even get different topics like scientific instruments (for all you steampunk lovers out there) or famous paintings.



I placed a pearl in the center of the bow. I thought this was a nice accent.  The ribbon is wired but I also adhered the ribbon ends with glue dots to preserve the wave.

 Here is a close up of the bow.  To add the bow to my card, I did the following:
  1. Added glue dots to the back of my bow. 
  2. Attached the bow to my card.
  3. Punched two holes on each side (each set of two holes was about 1/4" apart.
  4. Threaded each ribbon tail down one hole and back up through the other hole.
  5. Molded the ribbon ends and attached with glue dots.
I threaded my ribbon ends to make them sturdier and keep the bow on better.  I am sure the glue dots would have been ok but this was better. Sometimes wire edged ribbon can pull and be unruly.  By doing this the ribbon ends stayed where I placed them.


My second card:

This card is similar. I used an off white ribbon and placed a gold crystal in the center.




I hope you enjoyed today's cards!

Lis

No comments: