Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Scroll Heart Punch used as a Stencil(Kaarten met scroll heart punch)

Say what?  Yes, as a stencil.  I used shrink plastic and punched a border. I used this as my stencil.  I didn't use regular transparency plastic because it is thinner and won't punch well at all.  You can use paper as a stencil but for this technique, we have to wash it and shrink plastic works well.

So, what did I stencil, you ask?  Well, take a look at project #1.



Here is how I created the border at the bottom of my card.
  1. I placed my stencil (made from the border punch) on a black piece of cardstock.
  2. I used Molding Paste and a spreader tool. (Artists and cake decorators use it.  It is bent at the handle)
  3. While holding the edge of the stencil on my paper, I spread molding paste over the stencil and paper, covering them both.  This is a little like icing a cake.
  4. I carefully removed the stencil and let the molding paste design dry. (This Molding Paste dried white and matte. It is also flexible and doesn't crack easily.  It does take color so I could have stamped it, or even used inks on it.)
  5. I replaced the stencil (now I used it as a mat to cover up the design).
  6. I sprayed Radiant Rain on the entire piece.
  7. I removed the stencil again and the result is what you see below.
(You will notice that part of the design has some spray on it.  This was not the fault of the stencil. The stencil worked perfectly and no spray got on the black paper.  I wanted to add some color on the right and sprayed without putting the stencil down first....duh!)

 I took this shot to give you an idea of the effect that Molding Paste has.  There is a depth to this design and creates a 3d effect.
 This is the Molding Paste that I used. Golden is well known among artists ans has great quality in all their materials.  While a CHA I took a class that used Speedball Molding Paste which seemed a little airier.  Liquitex also makes a Molding Paste I believe.

What ever Molding Paste you use, you should probably get the LIGHT one.  This means that its less heavy (less dense) than the others.
 Here is the Radiant Rain that I used.

Here are a couple of detail shots of Project #1.

For this part of the card, I used an embossing folder (Cuttlebug) and some gold glossy (The Paper Cut).



If you think about it, you have probably got MANY punches that you could also try this with.  Just think how many stencils you could have!


Thank you for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed this card.

I was hoping to complete the second project but I ran out of time.  So, I will post tomorrow.  See you then!

1 comment:

Embosserissima said...

Oh Lis, It's super cute! I love martha Stewart Punches, and this is one of the best. I like the colors too. It's a great card. Thanks for sharing. Hugs.