Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Mizuhiki Heart with Mica Pearl Ink Background

Hi everyone!

I was fortunate to go to a stamp show (Carson, CA - you may be familiar with it).  My friend Bobbie and I signed up for a Judikins class with Judy herself!  If you look on their blog, you may even see pictures of us!

Anyway,  the class was full of techniques.  One super great technique I learned was how to make a mizuhiki heart for a card front.  It is AWESOME!  SO, I am going to share it with you.

I love mizuhiki cord.  It is tightly wound paper cord and comes in in some beautiful metallic colors. You may even have seen it tied into some gorgeous Japanese knots (I would so love to take a class to learn that!).

So, when Judy taught us this card, I was overjoyed!



Close Up!
To make the heart, you take three strands of mizuhiki (I used two gold and one silver), fold them in half and cut them.  Now you should have six pieces of the same length. TAKE THREE PIECES. Fold them in half (do not cut).

To prepare your mat or card front, cut two small slits about 1/4 inch apart from each other.  You will position the slits at an angle and toward the top of your card. (See my pictures)

Take the folded cords and work them through the slits as you see below.  You can cross the strands here so that the top of the heart isn't so open.  You can also hang charms from the top!  How cool is that?


To properly position the bottom cords, I took my two ends and brought them around to get the heart shape.  I held the two ends together and took my xacto blade and placed it where I thought I wanted to cut.  I let go of the ends and made my two slits.  Then I threaded first one set of ends and then the other set of ends through the two slits. Voila!  A heart!


I wanted to show you these pearl dots.  These were made with the Viva Decor pearl pens.  These pens are wonderful!  You can get them in all kinds of pearl and non-pearl colors.  What's so great is that you can make every size of "pearl" you want.  They dry in about 15-20 minutes - maybe a little less (I like to give mine plenty of time to dry). The result is fantastic!  I will be showing more of these on my blog in the coming months, so stay tuned.


Thanks for stopping by!

Lis

No comments: