Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Serendipity Paper Christmas Card!

Hi everyone!
What is Serendipity Paper you might ask?  It's paper you make from scraps! 

Have you ever wondered what to do with all those pieces of beautiful papers and cardstock that just aren't good for any project but you can't bear to throw them out?  This technique will show you how to make a new sheet of paper using all your scraps.

Rules:  Well...there are no rules!  Take any of the papers that you want, cut them into strips, tear them into pieces, and paste them on a piece of cardstock.  Although you can choose to keep within a color family or coordinate between basic colors and pattern mixes, you don't have to.  Somehow this always works out!  It's a little like paper magic!

Let's make some Serendipity paper!

1. As you can see, I chose a Christmas theme in red, white and green for a color theme.  I normally don't do this but it's the season. 
  • patterned paper
  • solid cardstock
  • solid cardstsock Co'ordinations kraft


I embossed the solid cardstock. I've never done this before and I wanted to see how it would come out.  I'm a mad scientist sometimes.






2. I ripped the papers into strips with torn edges on both sides.






3. I started gluing my strips randomly onto my piece of cardstock.  Cardstock can be anything, even a scrap itself.  The color doesn't really matter because we are going to cover it with our pieces of paper.  (Note: Since I have strips, they naturally lend themselves to gluing either vertically or horizontally.  I try not to follow a pattern when I'm attaching my pieces.  I also use a glue stick.  For me, torn paper seems to look better when glued down with a glue stick.)






4. Here is my finished piece of cardstock with all my pieces glued down.







5. I used several different sizzix dies to cut out some shapes with my paper.






6. And here is my finished card!  What do you think?


Close Up!


I hope that you have enjoyed learning about this technique.  And that you try it out too!

Lis

No comments: